Experience of using Terra-Sorb® complex in corn against cold
Thursday, 13 February 2020Field Experience | Terra-Sorb® | Extensive crops
Evaluate the effect of the applications of Terra-Sorb® complex on the development and recovery of corn plants subject to low temperature conditions.
- Organism: Experimental fields, University of Barcelona
- Crop: Corn (Zea mays L.)
- Containers: 0.8 L: peat-perlite-vermiculite (3-1-1)
- Fertilization: complete Hoagland solution throughout the experiment.
- Treatments: 2 foliar applications (before and after stress)
- Biomass (T3 - after recovery)
The plants treated with the Terra-Sorb® complex had higher biomass at the end of the test, indicating a better recovery of the plant.
- Chlorophyll content:
After 5 days of stress, corn plants were severely affected. Chlorosis and thinner leaves. However, the chlorophyll content was higher in the plants treated with Terra-Sorb® complex in T2&T3, indicating better performance under stress conditions.
- Corn plants are severely affected by daytime cold stress (C4 plant adapted to hot climates) as the growth rate decreases.
- The application of Terra-Sorb® complex before and after stress helps corn plants to overcome the cold stress situation faster and with great performance.
- After cold stress period, Terra-Sorb® Complex treated plants are in a better situation (less chlorosis damage) and they have a better recovery.